2/14/09

A lil' Green Mossy No#

This is our new front door decor . This idea was inspired by a similar design in the Better Homes and Garden Magazine ( I believe it was the December issue). You can make your very own, too! Here is how I made mine (not sure how they did it in the mag.- no instructions). P.s. Mine is hanging a little too low on our door- off to get a shorter hanger!)
Here is what you need.
1. piece of large foam core (cost is $1 at Micheals)
2. Green moss (whatever kind you like - my bag was ~ $2 at Micheals)
3. Various kinds of Ribbon (or not if you don't want to use ribbon)
4. Wire to hang
5. Gold spray paint- or gold craft paint (whatever, you have)- you may could color it with crayons???
Okay, this is so easy to do...a little time consuming, but not bad. First draw your Letter out on the foam core (I used my whole piece). Cut out with scissors or exacto knife...this part is the hardest part. Don't worry about jagged edges - the moss will cover them up.
6. I spray painted my "F' so that no white would show up (in case of any bare spots).
7. Spread glue (I used just plain Elmore's)- use lots of glue and spread with finger. Apply moss in small sections at a time and press down (do this over and over as you continue to cover your letter).
8. Poke holes (i used a nail to poke mine) and thread the wire though to make a hanger.
9. Attach ribbon in your own creative way.
Good luck! If you decide to make one....I would love to see pictures of yours!
I am going to do better at sharing any craft or decor ideas that I have. If you know me....that is what I love to do. I also love to share ideas and give advice on anything pertaining to either subject.

I recently was reminded that God blesses us with different talents, as well as spiritual gifts. Do you know yours?? Do you use yours? God delights in us when he sees us using our gifts. Can you run fast? Are you good with organizing? Are you a hard worker? Whatever you do, do it.....share it and feel God delight in you.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

the Fosters said...

Love the mossey F! It looks wonderful!
God has truly blessed you with being "crafty" if that is the right word. I am glad you use your abilities wisely and I admire that. I love getting ideas from you because you know I am definitely not blessed in the area. Thanks for sharing your ideas and putting your gifts to good use!

Anita Pope said...

Love it! I might have to try that out. Thanks for sharing the ideas and I would love if you shared more.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute. I may have to do one of those for this spring. Althought a W might be too difficult for me! I am so thankful for you sharing ideas, I wish everyone did. It is not one of my gifts so I rely on everyone else. I am still trying to find mine.

Tenille Rauls said...

I LOVE it! That looks great! Also, Hutch crawling is too cute~ Hope you are having a great week!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness...I need a mossy "A"! :) I'm going to do this and will post a pic when I'm finished. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. found you through Carissa's blog.